Friday, March 18, 2011

My heart is yours to fill or burst, to break or bury, or wear as jewelery

It's emo, I know. But "Hands Down" is one of my favourite Dashboard Confessional songs. I've always been a hip hop, R&B and slow jam kinda girl. BoyzIIMen, Usher, Brian McKnight, you name it. So when I was introduced to DC in my latter years of high school, I was surprised with how quickly I fell in love with the band. Granted, those were some tumultuous years, filled with heartache and teenage angst, so in retrospect, maybe it shouldn't be such a surprise after all. Listening to DC today doesn't fill me with angst or frustration, but rather, reminds me of a point in time when I was hopelessly, head over heels "in love". And it doesn't necessarily bring up old feelings, but there's an old sense of nostalgia and fond reminiscence associated with the music of that time period.

So when I found out today that Dashboard Confessional has been on tour for the 10th anniversary of their album, Swiss Army Romance, I was ecstatic. I haven't been to many concerts, but every time they've been to Toronto, I always had evening classes or some other obligation. Unfortunately, I missed their New York stop in December, and they don't seem to be coming to Toronto. Therein lies the dilemma. Do I fly to another [American] city just to see them? I know they're on my bucket list...but financially, it doesn't seem responsible to spend hundreds of dollars just to see them for this particular anniversary concert, when they'll likely come back to Toronto whenever they come out with a new album (as they have in previous years for the rest of their albums), but that probably won't be for at least another year or two. Decisions, decisions...

And now, for some Dashboard Confessional, "Hands Down":

No comments:

Post a Comment