Friday, May 23, 2014

Countdown to ... Asia!

I'm a sucker for good travel deals. And as it turns out, I came across a deal that I couldn't resist -- $760 roundtrip after tax from Toronto to Hong Kong. So naturally, what did I do? I coerced a few friends to join me on what is going to be an EPIC trip to Asia...for FIVE WEEKS.  I'll be flying out November 3rd and returning December 8th. 2 friends (including my best friend!) will be joining me for the entire 5 weeks, and 2-3 other friends will be joining us for 2-3 weeks.

We haven't planned out our itinerary yet, but the tentative plan is a 6-8 days per country, starting with Thailand for the Festival of Lights (Loi Krathong) and Yi Peng -- for the unitiated, think of the floating lantern scene from Tangled! From there, off to Cambodia, then to Vietnam. I'm torn between surfing in Bali or going to Japan. While Japan is definitely on my bucket list -- to tour and to snowboard! -- it warrants a much longer stay, and since I know I'll be going back anyways, I'm tempted to hit up a less expensive country..though Bali would hardly be much cheaper. Finally, we'll be wrapping up our trip in Hong Kong. Five weeks is both an incredibly long and short time to travel such vast countries, but I intend to make it worth my while!

This trip will be my longest trip abroad and the longest amount of time I've spent from home. I'm both anxious and excited and terrified and TOTALLY STOKED. I last went to Asia when I was 17 with my family. Due for a trip 10 years later? Sounds about right. I plan to knock off a few of my bucket list items while I'm there:

-Learn to surf (in Bali?!)
-Get my PADI in Thailand
-Jump off the Macau Tower (might need to revise this, as it is a bit pricier than I had anticipated)
-Great Wall of China (depends if I venture out of HK)

1 comment: